07 June 2010

Home Run

Tonight, my son hit a home run. It was his first of this season, second ever. This is his last year in Little League, and if they had lost tonight, it would have been his last game. But they didn't. They won. This team, a modern day Bad News Bears, did not get a W until more than halfway through the season. They were terrible...awful....embarrassing even! To put it mildly, they stunk worse than that rotten oil catastrophe on the Deepwater Horizon. But unlike those bozos at BP, the Yankees have been able to put a cap on the disaster and will play tomorrow in the Semi-Finals.
More bizarre than the fact that the Yankees are actually playing like a well-oiled machine is the fact that I actually caught the home run on video! After not taking even one picture all season, I decided to take my Costco special down to the ol' fields tonight. I rode my bike, snapping pictures as the town whizzed by. During his second at bat, I decided I'd stand up on the water fountain (unsafe, and unsanitary I know) and try to get some tape of whatever might happen. I think it was the second pitch, and I'm always futzing with the camera, switching back and forth from video to photo, zooming in, zooming out-messing around so much that I usually miss whatever is happening completely. But oh no, not tonight! I got it! The pitcher's release, the crack of the bat, the flight of the ball, and of course Theo jogging ever so slowly around the bases, to come back to home with his team ecstatic over the run. It was great. And now, there will be at least one more game.

No comments:

Post a Comment